Today’s question is: “Do you need a license to sell CBD”?
Whether or not you need a license to sell CBD depends on the state in which you live.
Generally speaking, every state has its laws, and there is also the Federal Law to be considered.
This can be a bit troublesome when you need to make a business decision.
Luckily, each state has its own governmental websites where you can get this information.
Alternatively, you can read this article and make sure if you need a license to sell CBD in your home state.
We will make a list of all US states and how they address this matter.
Check it out!
- Alabama – The state laws say that you’re able to sell CBD products as long as they’re derived from hemp
- Alaska – Before you can start selling medical cannabis in this state, it is necessary to register your company with The Alaska Department of Natural Resources or DNR
- Arizona – Medical cannabis is completely legal in this US state
- Arkansas – Like most other countries, Arkansas has controlled CBD substances for a long time. But today, you can sell it freely without any permit or registration
- California – As you well know, California is one of the more liberal countries when it comes to cannabis in general. You are able to use recreational cannabis, and you can also produce and sell CBD items without any restriction. But, you cannot have these products that are labeled as “food” or “beverage”
- Colorado – Like California, Colorado is very liberal when it comes to cannabis and other products. The state allows CBD products, infused food, and drinks
- Connecticut – You can buy CBD in Connecticut as well as use it without any legal problems
- Delaware – Delaware is one of the first US states that allowed the use of medical cannabis. Since 2014, people can use CBD items without any issues
- Florida – While the state of Florida permits CBD use, there isn’t a proper legal framework that would define various situations. Still, if you’re caught with medical cannabis, you won’t face jail time
- Georgia – Generally speaking, you can use CBD products in Georgia. However, they need to have less than 5% THC content
- Hawaii – According to Hawaii state law, the patients cannot use CBD substances without a proper prescription
- Idaho – Idaho is very restrictive when it comes to CBD products. Every cannabidiol product sold in this state cannot have any THC. Furthermore, it can only be extracted from mature hemp plants
- Illinois – The state of Illinois permits medical marijuana without any special designations
- Indiana – The state of Indiana permits medical marijuana without any special designations
- Iowa – If you wish to sell medical marijuana in Iowa, you will need an appropriate dispensary license issued by the state government
- Kansas – Similar to Idaho, Kansas allows its citizens to use medical marijuana but with a twist. The products cannot have any THC. But, in case of a severe medical condition, the patients can use CBD products with up to 5% THC
- Kentucky – People in Kentucky are able to grow and sell medical cannabis and hemp
- Louisiana – Louisiana has a law that allows use and sales of CBD products, although the products cannot have more than 0.3% THC
- Maine – It is very important to note that this US state doesn’t allow sales of CBD products if a company presents false, or outrageous medical claims. In fact, the companies should refrain themselves from making any claims whatsoever
- Maryland – Maryland allows sales and use of medical marijuana
- Massachusetts – CBD use in the state is regulated by the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources. Although patients can use the product, there are a lot of restrictions. For example, cannabis companies cannot make any medical claims or sell CBD infused food. The farmers in this state cannot feed their animals with hemp nor can it be used unprocessed
- Michigan – Michigan has very liberal cannabis laws. If you want to use a CBD product, you don’t even need a medical card
- Minnesota – The state allows the use of CBD since 2018
- Mississippi – cannabidiol products can only be used for medical treatments. Furthermore, CBD hemp oils are under constant supervision
- Missouri – CBD products can only be used for epilepsy. A patient needs an appropriate medical card in order to use these items
- Montana – Using CBD items is very tricky in Montana. There are no laws regulating this subject, and although the substance isn’t allowed by the law, it also isn’t forbidden
- Nebraska – Hemp and hemp products are no longer regulated by the state. Previously, they were on the list of forbidden substances, but this is no longer the case
- Nevada – You can sell cannabidiol products except for CBD-infused food
- New Hampshire – Similar to Nevada, CBD is legal unless it is in present in food
- New Jersey – CBD products are legal in the state of New Jersey
- New Mexico – Since 2019, companies and individuals can sell CBD items of every possible type
- New York – Generally speaking, the state of New York allows sales and use of cannabidiol products. However, there isn’t appropriate legislation regarding CBD edibles
- North Carolina – Today, you are able to use any CBD product in this state with the exception of smokable hemp
- North Dakota – The only way you can use the substance if it’s made by a registered cannabis company and it has less than 0.3% THC. The CBD is still on the list of controlled substances
- Ohio – Since 2019, you can use hemp CBD products without any legal ramification
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma has some of the most complex cannabis laws in the country. The state places extra emphasis on proper labeling; a company has to provide lots of data regarding used CBD
- Oregon – Oregon is one of the largest producers of cannabis in the US. However, when it comes to CBD items, they have to be tested in the designated Oregon lab
- Pennsylvania – The patients can use hemp products. Things are a bit complicated when it comes to cannabis CBD items which need to be processed by the regulatory bodies
- Rhode Island – You can sell and use CBD products with low percentage THC at your leisure. Items that have high THC content have to be sold via cannabis dispensaries
- South Carolina – CBD products are legal since 2017. However, there aren’t proper laws covering the use of raw hemp and its byproducts
- South Dakota – All CBD items, as well as cannabis-derived products, are illegal
- Tennessee – As long as your products have less than 0.9% THC, you are able to sell drugs in this US state. Tennessee has allowed the use of medical cannabis since 2015
- Texas – There are lots of different laws meant to regulate the Texas cannabidiol market. For example, state officials are especially worried about their hemp crops and proper labeling. Although you can use CBD products and sell them via dispensaries, they cannot have any THC in them
- Utah – You can grow and buy medical cannabis in Utah since 2018
- Vermont – You can grow and buy medical cannabis
- Virginia – Like in many other US states, it is possible to sell CBD products in Virginia. But, you cannot add the substance to food.
- Washington – Similar to Virginia, Washington authorities allow medical marijuana, but don’t allow the use of CBD in food
- West Virginia – CBD is legal in the state. The government officials are doing their best to improve internal medical marijuana market
- Wisconsin – The patients living in this state can use CBD oil with an appropriate medical certificate and card
- Wyoming – You can buy, sell, grow, and hold hemp and hemp products on your person
We hope we answered the question “Do you need a license to sell CBD” in this article.
There are some differences between the state laws, but generally speaking, most of the states allow CBD use as long as it is controlled.
Some states are very restrictive when it comes to cannabis infused food.
Anyway, it seems that the general consensus is to allow the growth and selling of medical marijuana.
These laws will improve as time goes by and we will probably see a more integral, more wholesome CBD market.