Today’s question is: “Do you need a license to sell CBD”?
Whether or not you need a license to sell CBD depends on the state in which you live.
Generally speaking, every state has its laws, and there is also the Federal Law to be considered.
This can be a bit troublesome when you need to make a business decision.
Luckily, each state has its own governmental websites where you can get this information.
Alternatively, you can read this article and make sure if you need a license to sell CBD in your home state.
We will make a list of all US states and how they address this matter.
Legal Status of CBD in Each State
Legal Status of CBD in Each State
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Alabama – The state laws say that you’re able to sell CBD products as long as they’re derived from hemp. In 2019, the plant was grown in this state for the first time after several decades. Nowadays, you don’t have to be a researcher to utilize hemp, but you can also get a commercial permit to grow and sell it.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Alaska – Before you can start selling or marketing medical cannabis in this state, it is necessary to register your company with The Alaska Department of Natural Resources or DNR. The plant is legal since 2018 when the government passed Senate Bill 6. This was initially a pilot program that would allow the growing of the plant, but nowadays, everyone can do it for commercial purposes.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Arizona – Medical cannabis is completely legal in this U.S. state. According to some agricultural experts, the plant will soon overtake some of the more traditional crops, such as cotton. Keep in mind that, whether you’re selling seeds or flowers, you will need to have an appropriate license in this state.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Arkansas – Like most other countries, Arkansas has controlled CBD substances for a long time. But today, you can sell it freely without any permit or registration. But, before you do so, you will need to get an appropriate license from the Arkansas Department of Agriculture. You don’t need a doctor’s prescription for hemp products, but you will need one for medical marijuana.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in California – As you well know, California is one of the more liberal countries when it comes to cannabis in general. You are able to use recreational cannabis, and you can also produce and sell cannabidiol items without any restriction. But, you cannot label these products as “food” or “beverage.” Perhaps the only limitation to growing hemp in California is that DEA licensed laboratory has to check it beforehand.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Colorado – Like California, Colorado is very liberal when it comes to cannabis and other products. The state allows cannabidiol products, infused food, and drinks. The great thing about Colorado is that people can grow this plant in their backyard without any restrictions. This is precisely why there are so many hemp companies located in this state.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Connecticut – You can buy CBD in Connecticut as well as use it without any legal problems. Like some other states on the list, you require a grower’s license from Connecticut’s Department of Agriculture. As a consumer, you can get these products from other states and transport them to Connecticut. If you wish to transfer raw hemp into a consumable, you will need a special consumables license.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Delaware – Delaware is one of the first U.S. states that allowed the use of medical cannabis. Since 2014, people can use CBD items without any issues. You don’t need a license or prescription, and it is relatively easy to get ahold of it. The state also covers various costs associated with high-CBD medical products.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Florida – Hemp products became legal in Florida on July 1st, 2019. While the state of Florida permits cannabidiol use, there isn’t a proper legal framework that would define various situations. Still, if you’re caught with medical cannabis, you won’t face jail time. If you’re making CBD consumables, they are registered as foods, which is why you will need to get a food establishment permit.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Georgia – Generally speaking, you can use CBD products in Georgia. However, they need to have less than 5% THC content. Starting a farm in this state is not that easy. Like in most other parts of the U.S., you will need a grower’s license. The license costs $50 per acre cultivated, and the total free can go all the way up to $5,000.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Hawaii – According to Hawaii state law, patients cannot use cannabidiol substances without a proper prescription. Since August 27th, 2020, and with the introduction of Act 014, you can now grow the plant as long as it’s in according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Domestic Hemp Production Program.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Idaho – Initially, Idaho was very restrictive when it comes to CBD products. Every cannabidiol product that was sold in this state couldn’t have any THC. Furthermore, it could only be extracted from mature hemp plants. In fact, it is the last state to legalize the substance. Nowadays, you can use CBD with up to 0.3%, in a similar way you would in other states.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Illinois – The state of Illinois permits medical marijuana without any special designations. Whether you’re a farmer, a university member, or a part of the Department of Agriculture, you are able to grow these plants while following certain limitations.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Indiana – The state of Indiana permits medical marijuana without any special designations. One exciting thing about this state is that you can only grow industrial hemp commercially. In other words, it cannot be used for research purposes. This is a quite unique provision setting Indiana apart from other American states.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Iowa – If you wish to sell medical marijuana in Iowa, you will need an appropriate dispensary license issued by the state government. According to Iowa law, hemp growers are advised to do their research before starting a hemp business. The government recommends that hemp entrepreneurs should perform market research before investing in seeds and equipment.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Kansas – Similar to Idaho, Kansas allows its citizens to use medical marijuana but with a twist. The products cannot have any THC. But, in case of a severe medical condition, the patients can use cannabidiol products with up to 5% THC
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Kentucky – People in Kentucky are able to grow and sell medical cannabis and hemp. Again, you will need an appropriate license to do this business. But, the law clearly states that this is subject to a change. Kentucky hemp farmers use more than 30,000 acres for hemp cultivation.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Louisiana – Louisiana has a law that allows the use and sales of CBD products, although the products cannot have more than 0.3% THC. Like many other states, Louisiana legalized the plant with the introduction of the 2018 Farm Bill. Nowadays, it has its own state-run program that regulates every aspect of plant growing, sales, distribution, and consumption.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Maine – It is essential to note that this U.S. state doesn’t allow sales of cannabidiol products if a company presents false or outrageous medical claims. In fact, the companies should refrain from making any claims whatsoever. Every individual in Main is able to grow up to 3 hemp plants for their own consumption as long as they have less than 0.3% THC content.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Maryland – Maryland allows sales and use of medical marijuana. However, there are some limitations as to where the plant can be grown. For example, a manufacturer should be at least 1,000 feet away from a school or a park. In order for a person to grow the plant, they need to partner with an institute of higher education or the Maryland Department of Agriculture,
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Massachusetts – the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources regulates CBD use in the state. Although patients can use the product, there are a lot of restrictions. For example, cannabis companies cannot make any medical claims or sell CBD-infused food. The farmers in this state cannot feed their animals with hemp, nor can it be used unprocessed.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Michigan – Michigan has very liberal cannabis laws. If you want to use a CBD product, you don’t even need a medical card. But, if you wish to grow the plant, you need to be registered with the MDARD Pilot scheme. Furthermore, a farmer needs to properly mark the area for hemp growing so that you know which parts of the property are for growing and which ones are off-limit.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Minnesota – The state allows the use of cannabidiol since 2018. They started their legalization with a pilot program that went from 2016 to 2020. It was meant to explore various aspects of hemp growing and consumption. Eventually, the state officials approved the growing and use of the plant on May 6th, 2021, by introducing the Minnesota State Plan.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Mississippi – cannabidiol products can only be used for medical treatments. Furthermore, cannabidiol hemp oils are under constant supervision. If you wish to get a growers license in this state, you will have to apply for it via the United States Department of Agriculture. Keep in mind that marijuana is still illegal in Mississippi.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Missouri – CBD products can only be used for epilepsy. A patient needs an appropriate medical card in order to use these items. Alternatively, the plant can be grown for research purposes but not for personal consumption.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Montana – Using CBD items is very tricky in Montana. No laws are regulating this subject, and although the substance isn’t allowed by the law, it also isn’t forbidden. According to state law, hemp is categorized as an alternative agricultural crop. The interesting thing about Montana is that it has the largest hemp crop in the country exceeding 50,000 acres.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Nebraska – The state no longer regulates hemp and hemp products. Previously, they were on the list of forbidden substances, but this is no longer the case. If you wish to grow the plant in this state, you need to get a Nebraska Department of Agriculture license. Alternatively, you will have to get it from a local Tribe. If you don’t have the document, cultivation, and sales of hemp will be regarded as an illegal act.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Nevada – You can sell cannabidiol products except for CBD-infused food. The state has legalized the plant back in 2015, but only for research and pilot programs. In time, CBD products became completely legal. In order to grow it, you will need both a state hemp license and a local business license.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in New Hampshire – Similar to Nevada, CBD is legal unless it is present in food. Keep in mind that the law doesn’t clearly define hemp. Because of that, there is no limit as to how much hemp-derived substance you can possess. If you have an appropriate medical card, you can use all cannabis products regardless of their CBD or THC content.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in New Jersey – cannabidiol products are legal in the state of New Jersey. In fact, this is one of the first three states to have hemp cultivation approved by the USDA. Before you can buy or possess hemp seeds, you will need to sign a Growers Licensing application.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in New Mexico – Since 2019, companies and individuals can sell CBD items of every possible type. The great thing about New Mexico is that you don’t need a license to sell pre-packaged CBD and other hemp items. On the other hand, if you’re a plant grower (refers to any plant), The New Mexico Plant Protection Act requires you to be licensed.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in New York – Generally speaking, the state of New York allows sales and use of cannabidiol products. On December 9th, 2019, the state has legalized the plant. However, there isn’t appropriate legislation regarding CBD edibles. If you wish to get a proper license, you will have to go through New York State Cannabinoid Hemp Program.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in North Carolina – Today, you are able to use any CBD product in this state except for smokable hemp. North Carolina growers have a great advantage over other states as they don’t need a license to start their business. But, you need a license if you wish to sell living hemp plants.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in North Dakota – The only way you can use the substance if a registered cannabis company makes it and it has less than 0.3% THC. Cannabidiol is still on the list of controlled substances. On the other hand, if you wish to grow the plants yourself, you will have to apply for a license before buying any plant propagation material (hemp seeds).
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Ohio – Since 2019, you can use hemp CBD products without any legal ramifications. The state doesn’t allow the growing of strains that have more than 0.3%. If such a plant is found on your property, you are legally obliged to destroy it. Because of that, farmers in this state are somewhat reluctant to start growing hemp.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Oklahoma – Oklahoma has some of the most complex cannabis laws in the country. The state places extra emphasis on proper labeling; a company has to provide lots of data regarding used CBD. The Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry supervises everything regarding this plant.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Oregon – Oregon is one of the largest producers of cannabis in the U.S. In fact, they were among the first state to license its production. According to predictions, this plant might become the number one agricultural commodity in the new few years due to increased hemp popularity within the state. However, when it comes to CBD items, they have to be tested in the designated Oregon lab
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Pennsylvania – The patients can use hemp products in this state. Things are a bit complicated when it comes to cannabis cannabidiol items that need to be processed by the regulatory bodies. Luckily, things are getting a bit better for farmers. From 2021, all hemp processors and growers can apply for a license that would allow the cultivation and processing of the plant.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Rhode Island – Processing and production of industrial hemp became legal in Rhode Island on January 1st, 2017. You can sell and use CBD products with a low percentage THC at your leisure. Items that have high THC content have to be sold via cannabis dispensaries. Besides paying an application fee to open a dispensary, a hemp entrepreneur will also need to enter a lottery that would allow or prevent them from doing this business.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in South Carolina – CBD products are legal since 2017. There aren’t proper laws covering the use of raw hemp and its byproducts. If you wish to grow the plant, you will need proof of residency, pay the application and permit fee, and perform a criminal check.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in South Dakota – Until recently, all cannabidiol items, as well as cannabis-derived products, were illegal. This all changed in 2021 when the state finally legalized the plant. Businesses will need to get a license from the appropriate state body to cultivate, distribute, and sell hemp products.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Tennessee – As long as your products have less than 0.9% THC, you are able to sell drugs in this U.S. state. Tennessee has allowed the use of medical cannabis since 2015. Furthermore, you can use the plant for other industrial purposes, such as making ropes, fabrics, and construction materials.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Texas – There are lots of different laws meant to regulate the Texas cannabidiol market. For example, state officials are apprehensive about their hemp crops and proper labeling. Although you can use CBD products and sell them via dispensaries, they cannot have any THC in them
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Utah – You can grow and buy medical cannabis in Utah since 2018. You will need an appropriate license from the Utah Department of Agriculture to cultivate the plant. A consumer has to get educated regarding these products as laws vary based on the production method that was applied for the creation of a hemp substance.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Vermont – You can grow and buy medical cannabis. According to the Vermont law, hemp is an agricultural product that you can grow as a crop, produce, possess, and commercially trade within the state borders.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Virginia – Like in many other U.S. states, it is possible to sell CBD products in Virginia. But, you cannot add the substance to food. The law refers to pre-rolls, cigarettes, and oils, but it isn’t applied to edibles. This is a common cause of confusion among consumers.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Washington – Similar to Virginia, Washington authorities allow medical marijuana but don’t allow the use of cannabidiol in food. This is one of the first states that allowed sales of marijuana and hemp together.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in West Virginia – CBD is legal in the state. The government officials are doing their best to improve the internal medical marijuana market. A great thing about this state is that the regular retail stores are able to sell hemp without a license. As long as a product is below 0.3% THC, there is no limit as to how much you can use it.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Wisconsin – The patients living in this state can use CBD oil with an appropriate medical certificate and card. Growers will need to have an appropriate license as well as to pay for annual registration issued by DATCP.
- Do you need a license to sell CBD in Wyoming – You can buy, sell, grow, and hold hemp and hemp products on your person. The first hemp was enacted in 2020, and since then, the state is making significant strides in empowering the local hemp market.
We hope we answered the question “Do you need a license to sell CBD” in this article.
There are some differences between the state laws, but generally speaking, most of the states allow CBD use as long as it is controlled.
Some states are very restrictive when it comes to cannabis-infused food.
Anyway, it seems that the general consensus is to allow the growth and selling of medical marijuana.
These laws will improve as time goes by and we will probably see a more integral, more wholesome CBD market.