Given the young age and underdevelopment of the cannabis industry, it makes sense for dispensaries to invest in dispensary marketing. At this moment in time, almost everyone can develop a marijuana brand.
The market is not yet saturated, and there is a lot of space for new players. All you need is the initial investment and a good cannabis company at your disposal.
Cannabis dispensary marketing can be extremely effective at this moment in time. Even if you’re a minor company, with limited resources, you can quickly position yourself.
Nothing is impossible because there aren’t many reputable marijuana companies out there. It also goes in your favor that we’re limited in terms of available marketing channels.
For example, you can’t do much with social media marketing and pay-per-click, but search engine optimization can provide excellent results.
This lack of competition makes cannabis dispensary advertising seem easy. Unfortunately, it is everything but that. There are a lot of things you need to know before you hire an advertising company.
In this article, we will talk about some do’s and don’ts, and how to get the most from your cannabis dispensary advertising.
Focusing on cannabis dispensary marketing
Although we are limited in terms of available digital marketing channels, it is still the best way to go.
You can do a lot by improving your website, getting the right logo, performing search engine optimization, and managing your online reputation.
While most platforms forbid direct ads and will not take payment for any kind of cannabis promotion, there are still things you can do organically.
People are still looking for cannabis-related results on Google, so there is nothing you can do to prevent this. As long as you’re doing cannabis dispensary marketing organically, you should never get in trouble.
Here are some of the main reasons why traditional marketing channels fail when it comes to promoting marijuana:
Billboards and other outdoor ads
Billboards are regarded as the best method of promoting a cannabis business. They are especially great for companies that do lots of business on a local level or have dispensaries in the area.
However, they don’t do much for organizations that want to spread their influence statewide. Oftentimes, getting a billboard can be expensive, but this is one of the strategies that provide the best ROI.
Make sure that outdoor advertising is legal in your state before considering this approach
The main issue with print media is that the costs can go up pretty quickly. Sometimes, companies lack focus when posting these ads.
Another issue is that the cost of this type of advertising has remained the same, but their reach has exponentially diminished in the last decade.
So, it isn’t an ideal promotional method in terms of return on investment
Like print media, radio has lost a lot of its effectiveness. However, the situation is not as grim as with newspapers.
You can still accomplish a lot by advertising this way. But again, you need to be focused and to find the right audience.
Perhaps the biggest issue with the radio is that you cannot measure conversion and assess the efficiency of your campaign. If you want to try a better solution, we recommend podcasts
If you ask any dispensary marketing expert, word-of-mouth was and still is, the best way to promote cannabis dispensaries and other businesses.
As we stray from traditional forms of communication, direct word-of-mouth becomes less relevant. A lot of it is done online, through various social media, forums, and review sites.
Again, it is another thing where traditional marketing channels are lacking compared to their digital counterparts
Best digital dispensary marketing strategies for your cannabis store
As already mentioned, you can’t do much by relying on social media.
The majority of platforms take down cannabis promotional material as soon as they see it. On top of that, your social media account may be blocked due to this activity.
That being said, it is much better to focus on certain digital marketing approaches that will yield results:
Put the focus on your dispensary website
Your cannabis website is one thing that can never be taken away. You can do whatever you want with it, so it makes sense to invest early on.
The website can be used as an anchor for your dispensary marketing campaign. In the end, all the leads will be streamed towards it, so you will need to find a way to convert.
If you want to have a great website, you will need to hire a good SEO expert, CRO professional, and website designer. You will need a search engine optimization expert so that you have a responsive site.
It needs to be mobile-friendly and responsive. This will play a major part in optimization down the line and will help facilitate other marketing processes.
At the same time, you will also need a good website design. Keep in mind that it’s better if your site is not too heavy.
Otherwise, it may interfere with both SEO and conversion. On the other hand, if your site looks sloppy, no one will want to buy from you.
Lastly, you will also need a conversion expert who will tie everything together, making sure that you make as much money as possible.
4 Crucial elements every dispensary website should have
Here are some necessary elements for your site:
- Assessable menu – The general rule is that a person should reach any page on-site with 2 clicks. If you have good site architecture, you will have a much higher conversion. These menus should be visible, easy to reach, and they shouldn’t lead customers astray
- Cannabis blog – There are several reasons why you need a blog. First of all, it helps with your optimization. It will allow you to optimize for keywords that would otherwise be unattainable. A blog is also a good way of showing expertise and gaining credibility within the cannabis community. It can create goodwill with your potential customers, and it will help you retain them for longer periods of time
- Directory listing – One of the best ways of promoting a site is by allowing people to leave reviews. If you’re a good company with positive reviews, you will be able to scale your business at a much quicker pace. This is why you will need to leave links on popular websites such as Leafly and Yelp. Once you get enough reviews, you can start posting them on your site, as proof of value
- Contact and social media – Like with any brick-and-mortar business, your cannabis dispensary advertising require a solid contact page. Here, people can locate your dispensaries, get your phone number, and email. Make sure to also leave your social media links. While most platforms don’t allow promotion, it is only a matter of time when this will change. Once things change, and marijuana ads become common, you will want to have a large social media following
Hire a cannabis SEO expert
Given the lack of promotional options, you should definitely hire an SEO expert for your marijuana dispensary advertising.
So, why is cannabis SEO so important?
SEO helps you reach the top positions in Google. Basically, if you cannot reach the top 10 positions for a keyword, it is as if your website doesn’t exist.
People simply don’t browse after page 1, which is why you need to rank high for phrases that bring your sales. SEO professionals can help you with that.
Search engine optimization is a long process. You cannot expect meaningful results in just a month or two. But, once you get all those positions and traffic, it will be really hard to lose them.
SEO is the most viable solution for marijuana dispensaries, and it provides results that will stay for a while. That being said, it is the most lucrative method in the long run.
Unlike paid ads, all the work you’ve done will stay once you stop paying for the promotion.
Here are some of the things that an SEO expert can help you with:
- Performing SEO audit and correcting previously present mistakes
- Building links to your site
- Helping with overall site optimization
- Creating content that converts
- Creating meaningful relationships with other blogs
- Posting your site on various directories
Implementing other dispensary marketing strategies
Although SEO is the best way to promote your business, there are other smaller things that you can improve. For example:
- If you’re getting a lot of traffic but can’t covert, we suggest that you get a conversion expert
- You can also consider performing email marketing campaigns that would help you get more leads and connect with other bloggers and cannabis influencers
- It is wise to hire an online reputation manager. This person will help you monitor online reviews, check for potential weaknesses, and potentially, change the reviews through direct communication with a poster
- Public relationships are a tried-and-true method. PR representative can get you in touch with the biggest blogs and news platforms. This will not only get you links and publicity but will also help your web credibility
- At this moment, social media will not bring that many leads. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a Facebook or Instagram profile. Consider hiring an expert that will keep these accounts alive and gather followership
Keep in mind that some dispensary marketing companies can perform all these tasks.
For example, although our cannabis brand specializes in SEO, we also perform other tasks that should propel your cannabis brand to new heights. In the end, this is what we do for our site!
If you need a quote or wish to inquire about our services, make sure to contact us. We are at your disposal at all times!